The Greatest RC Car of all time

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those votes over at Dreddit are useless. Like someone here said, clickbait. Sales numbers should dictate a winner in such a contest.

I like the RC10. It had that copper looking tub, had to build it, won a few races for me. 4 1/2 minute races was fun back then. Then I built a Yokomo optima, mid. Still have 2 of them. :hyperbuggy: 🏁😎
The post was, best RC of ALL time. 😎 It got me started. Then I got the fox. Had so much fun.🤣

Xmaxx, lol. Great truck I'm sure, but not even close to the best Traxxas even in terms of significance in the hobby.

IMO, you'd have to go with something from the early days of RC, like Tamiya Grasshopper, RC10, Kyosho Ultima, or Clodbuster.

The Grass hopper, and Clod were toy grade to me. I had the clod. duel motors and such. I have the Ultama. and optima from the 80s. The Tamia line was a good start for me though. The yellow one is mine. the blue one is hers. We dont run em anymore.
20231106_083556_resized.jpg
20231106_083357_resized.jpg

Last edited:
I would agree if not for the fact that I have owned a couple Tamiya RC's, and I never considered them to be much more than toys or static models with RC electronics in them.
I see what you mean. If we weigh durability and performance, the greatest RC car of all time will most definitely not be a Tamiya.

I drooled over Tamiya catalogs in the ’80s but my first buggy was the Team Losi JRX Pro. By the time the RC10 B2 was available I had moved to wheelers and ran a ’94 YZ-10.

Tamiyas were the laughing stock among racers precisely because they were 1:10 kits and used the same radios and electronics as our better vehicles did. Toys were made by brands like Taiyo and Nikko. And Tamiya made attempts to make racing cars even if they were expensive failures like the Avante.

I guess it comes down to the criteria we choose to make comparisons. For buggies like the B2 you owned, the evaluation was made on the racing tracks and it took the IFMAR world championship title in 1995.

The point I’m trying to make is that the best-performing RC cars are raced against each other and the bar is raised all the time. When looking at a title like ”Greatest RC Car of All Time” I think there’s a very different set of criteria in use but it’s all subjective, of course.

I wouldn’t vote for any successful racing buggy (the gold pan being the only exception) simply because they are very niche things and constantly prove themselves in the discipline they are made for. I think the greatest rc car of all time should be something not only RC hobbyists know. That’s why I think a classic Tamiya would be the most appropriate choice.

I only own some polycarbonate paint in a rattle can from Tamiya so there’s no personal horse for me in this race. It’s a subjective question so I only expect people to have different opinions and I can’t say yours is wrong.

Those votes over at Dreddit are useless. Like someone here said, clickbait. Sales numbers should dictate a winner in such a contest.
I would so love to see numbers of units sold for different platforms from top RC brands out there. Best selling RCs would have to include a bunch of 1/10 2wd vehicles on the list... that would be my guess. Taking my guess one step farther, I'd gamble the Traxxas Rustler has some great sales numbers.
Aww. You fixed it. :hehe:

Any thread/post that starts out with "best" this, and "best" that type questions/comments always gets people talking. Thanks again DavidB1126. I got to see some of the old RC relics as I knew I would jumping into this thread.

Last edited:
if this was going by sales numbers, the slash 2wd would win hands down.

by greatness, the traxxas xo-1. (i mean, 100mph out of box? really?!?)

coolness, Losi Super Baja Ray. (1/5 scale solid axle desert truck?!?! could it get any cooler?)

by what i can afford, New Bright Baja. (20$ at walmart LOL)

I see what you mean. If we weigh durability and performance, the greatest RC car of all time will most definitely not be a Tamiya.

I drooled over Tamiya catalogs in the ’80s but my first buggy was the Team Losi JRX Pro. By the time the RC10 B2 was available I had moved to wheelers and ran a ’94 YZ-10.

Tamiyas were the laughing stock among racers precisely because they were 1:10 kits and used the same radios and electronics as our better vehicles did. Toys were made by brands like Taiyo and Nikko. And Tamiya made attempts to make racing cars even if they were expensive failures like the Avante.

I guess it comes down to the criteria we choose to make comparisons. For buggies like the B2 you owned, the evaluation was made on the racing tracks and it took the IFMAR world championship title in 1995.

The point I’m trying to make is that the best-performing RC cars are raced against each other and the bar is raised all the time. When looking at a title like ”Greatest RC Car of All Time” I think there’s a very different set of criteria in use but it’s all subjective, of course.

I wouldn’t vote for any successful racing buggy (the gold pan being the only exception) simply because they are very niche things and constantly prove themselves in the discipline they are made for. I think the greatest rc car of all time should be something not only RC hobbyists know. That’s why I think a classic Tamiya would be the most appropriate choice.

I only own some polycarbonate paint in a rattle can from Tamiya so there’s no personal horse for me in this race. It’s a subjective question so I only expect people to have different opinions and I can’t say yours is wrong.
I don't disagree with you in the sense that if I were to pick the best shelf queen straight out of box builds, I may lean towards Tamiya simply because I have talked to one of the best kit builders I have ever seen, and all his buolds were Tamiya cars. Even the cheap TT-02's. His builds were as good or better than the boxart photos. Decals were flawlessly trimmed and applied. Even the really difficult ones. That's where he actually beat some boxart vehicles. I would have paid a lot of money for any of his builds. I wanted every car he showed me. So yeah, Tamiya is one of the greats in that sense.

Another one I hold in high regards is the Axial SCX24. The ways you can be creative with that little chassis and build anything you can imagine is just amazing. But it wasn't just the design that made it great. It was the following it developed. And the aftermarket for it is bonkers. Show me an RC with more ways you can build it.

The Traxxas Slash maybe? Drag car, SCT, Truggy, Monster truck, drift car, etc. Granted it's not great at all these, but it's great to see how diverse the builds have been on that chassis. I really enjoyed building ours into a drag car.

But nobody will ever convince me anything is better than the old Kyosho cars. You just never get over your first love ❤️
20230305_103855.jpg

Thinking of that new, RC10, clear edition. 👀 Might get it for my winter project.🤪 $319 and tax. Who knows. 🤷‍♂️ . Will keep me busy.:hyperbuggy:🏁. Then I need a servo, motor, receiver.damn.
$319, turns into $519 pretty fast. :mad:, Ha.🤣
if this was going by sales numbers, the slash 2wd would win hands down.

by greatness, the traxxas xo-1. (i mean, 100mph out of box? really?!?)

coolness, Losi Super Baja Ray. (1/5 scale solid axle desert truck?!?! could it get any cooler?)

by what i can afford, New Bright Baja. (20$ at walmart LOL)
The Limitless, in my eyes will blow the doors off that XO1, look it up. Plus you don't have to unlock it. 223 MPH. Speed record. I will never do speed runs, with any of my cars. Too much stress for me, 🤪 150 mph with a spectrum 160 amp. A very basic system. 🏁

Last edited:
Thinking of that new, RC10, clear edition. 👀 Might get it for my winter project.🤪 $319 and tax. Who knows. 🤷‍♂️ . Will keep me busy.:hyperbuggy:🏁. Then I need a servo, motor, receiver.damn.
$319, turns into $519 pretty fast. :mad:, Ha.🤣

The Limitless, in my eyes will blow the doors off that XO1, look it up. Plus you don't have to unlock it. 223 MPH. Speed record. I will never do speed runs, with any of my cars. Too much stress for me, 🤪 150 mph with a spectrum 160 amp. A very basic system. 🏁
true that it can make higer top speeds, but not out of box. not to mention, the xo-1 has had the record for OVER 10 YEARS. I've been waiting for arrma to make a RTR limitless, but i don't think they wanna mess with traxxas. plus, a competed limitless will cost 100$ more than a out-of-box XO-1. the xo-1 may be inferior, but for a rig you can buy, take out of box, change a included gear, then hit 100mph is crazy.

I don't disagree with you in the sense that if I were to pick the best shelf queen straight out of box builds, I may lean towards Tamiya simply because I have talked to one of the best kit builders I have ever seen, and all his buolds were Tamiya cars. Even the cheap TT-02's. His builds were as good or better than the boxart photos. Decals were flawlessly trimmed and applied. Even the really difficult ones. That's where he actually beat some boxart vehicles. I would have paid a lot of money for any of his builds. I wanted every car he showed me. So yeah, Tamiya is one of the greats in that sense.

Another one I hold in high regards is the Axial SCX24. The ways you can be creative with that little chassis and build anything you can imagine is just amazing. But it wasn't just the design that made it great. It was the following it developed. And the aftermarket for it is bonkers. Show me an RC with more ways you can build it.

The Traxxas Slash maybe? Drag car, SCT, Truggy, Monster truck, drift car, etc. Granted it's not great at all these, but it's great to see how diverse the builds have been on that chassis. I really enjoyed building ours into a drag car.

But nobody will ever convince me anything is better than the old Kyosho cars. You just never get over your first love ❤️
View attachment 174335
Think I'm gonna take these when I steal that jato. I'm off next week. What you got going on? 🤣

Think I'm gonna take these when I steal that jato. I'm off next week. What you got going on? 🤣
I'm always home, and I have a cane. I practice swinging it like it's the sword from Braveheart. Threatening the Jato's well being is one thing, but when it involves the Kyosho's the cane gets vewy angry 😠🤣

I'm always home, and I have a cane. I practice swinging it like it's the sword from Braveheart. Threatening the Jato's well being is one thing, but when it involves the Kyosho's the cane gets vewy angry 😠🤣
Understandable. They seem top notch.

My old man has a cane he always threatens me with. And my sister is always hitting me. I'm ready. 🤣

true that it can make higer top speeds, but not out of box. not to mention, the xo-1 has had the record for OVER 10 YEARS. I've been waiting for arrma to make a RTR limitless, but i don't think they wanna mess with traxxas. plus, a competed limitless will cost 100$ more than a out-of-box XO-1. the xo-1 may be inferior, but for a rig you can buy, take out of box, change a included gear, then hit 100mph is crazy.
I think the new Rlaarlo car is supposed to be faster than the xo-1. Correct me if I’m wrong

My Limitless cost me, $325, and 160 amp combo, $229. Around $600, give or take. 🤷‍♂️ Like I said I don't do speed runs. But I do like fast. 🏁

Back