City demands removal of community RC car racetrack installation in California

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can't fine the homeless, no revenue for the city.

That's actually very true, which is why the city "can't do anything".. couldn't do anything. There is a case that was just ruled on today by the Supreme court that claims fining the homeless for camping on public land is "cruel and unusual punishment" if they have no alternative. Meaning the shelters are full.

That case was shot down and gave the OK for the city to enforce homeless rules again.

We used to have a few legit homeless, people with mental health issues, or bad circumstances. Now we have an epidemic of junkies, a problem that is self inflicted, they do not deserve our tax dollars to fund their way of life. Giving a junkie free room and board just means they will trash the place. Why throw away tax dollars. We need to bring back work camps. for criminals.

We used to have a few legit homeless, people with mental health issues, or bad circumstances. Now we have an epidemic of junkies, a problem that is self inflicted, they do not deserve our tax dollars to fund their way of life. Giving a junkie free room and board just means they will trash the place. Why throw away tax dollars. We need to bring back work camps. for criminals.
Put em to work cleaning up the streets. Pay them with good meal.

I feel like if there is a large enough community to warrant a skatepark in that area, there is likely sufficient r/c enthusiasts to warrant a track.
As pointed out earlier, skate parks aren't any less dangerous than a crawler track.
Give them all helmets and knee pads and go away!
It seems no matter WHAT it is, if someone is smiling, there's someone with a badge and legal documents to regulate that smile.
Living in the woods in Maine can make for some harsh winters but I can run my cars, music and shoot my guns until sun up and not a soul will bother. ❤️ Then I can hop on my ATV and ride up the street for donuts and coffee.
Its more likely that I would get in trouble for having a fire on a "high fire-warn" day!
I have to be honest. I might have made them arrest me. I can't wait to be bought in to court for using a "toy" rc illegally!
I can't wait to hear about all the rising criminal activities around rc tracks and perhaps an increase in youth drug use... SMH!

Skate parks are fenced in with supervision in our area. The course they made was in a public area creating a nuisance on city property that makes the city liable if somebody is injured. The fact that small children are crawling around on jagged concrete does create a concern for the city.

The "Victims" do not really have a legitimate complaint. They did not go through proper channels to get an approved area to build a course on. They are playing the victim card on social media, because that's how the entitled generation gets what they want. If I were to build a course on public property and the city came and said it's a no no, I would just find another spot. I wouldn't cry about it on social media.

Skate parks are fenced in with supervision in our area. The course they made was in a public area creating a nuisance on city property that makes the city liable if somebody is injured. The fact that small children are crawling around on jagged concrete does create a concern for the city.

The "Victims" do not really have a legitimate complaint. They did not go through proper channels to get an approved area to build a course on. They are playing the victim card on social media, because that's how the entitled generation gets what they want. If I were to build a course on public property and the city came and said it's a no no, I would just find another spot. I wouldn't cry about it on social media.

There was a time when skate parks were only privately own, until some kid broke his arm and they got sued. Then everything went underground and became counter culture. Only hoodlums and thugs did rode a skateboard. We became feral children skating anywhere and everywhere, causing "problems" and tearing the place up. Eventually the municipalities brought them back. Maybe someday RC will be legit.

A young Steve Caballero.
1719619188671.jpeg

If I were to build a course on public property and the city came and said it's a no no, I would just find another spot. I wouldn't cry about it on social media.
I can't imagine that it would be too diffcult to make a 1/24 crawler course in ones yard, or inside of a LHS. The whole point of small scale is that it doesn't require much space.

There are a few real dangers here, this is beside a public road (and we know how lousy the modern driver is), and kids crawling over rocks can be a liability to the city if one of them falls over and gets hurt. If the city did anything wrong it was saying "sure you can build a track heres some dirt" only to flip flop.

Also, last time I checked that WLToys they used in their photo isn't a 1:24 crawler. Its more of a cheap Vaterra Twin Hammers clone than a remote control Stomper.

Last edited:
There was a time when skate parks were only privately own, until some kid broke his arm and they got sued. Then everything went underground and became counter culture. Only hoodlums and thugs did rode a skateboard. We became feral children skating anywhere and everywhere, causing "problems" and tearing the place up. Eventually the municipalities brought them back. Maybe someday RC will be legit.

A young Steve Caballero

I was just talking about Steve Caballero to a coworker, before I left the office tonight. Seriously freaky timing

I agree that the location sucks and the track should be moved from the sidewalk.
I have no idea how moving this to allow for homeless to move in is going to make the street any safer for children however.
The city won't address the real issue but will go to great lengths to persue legal action against tresspassing but otherwise harmless, possibly even positive influence on the community. However misguided their attempt to make their problems public, I believe there is some moral merit to this gripe.

I agree to a certain point. But we are talking about adults who could be a little more responsible. California has the worst policies when it comes to the homeless. We have 28% of the nations homeless. Heck our state hosts 1/3 of the countries welfare recipients. We can't afford to make nice parks where people could play.

I lived in Oceanide and worked in Escondido about 15 years or so ago. I know it is different now but even then, Escondido was indeed, all fenced in.
Oceanside had open areas that at least appeared to be open.
I am not recommending tresspassing but it seems like it would be easy enough to knock on the door of a business that may bennefit from an evening of r/c crawler traffic.
Ice cream shop or mall maybe?
As I said, where I live, there aren't sidewalks and everyone, kids included need to watch for ATV's and bear on the sides of the road.
We live in different worlds.
Legally, no morals or what have you, totally correct, these poor folks don't have a leg to stand on.
I was suggesting that if the town/city have "X"# of active skateboarders to warrant an entire skatepark, there is likely an equal percentage of "X"# of r/c'rs to warrant a sidewalk sized track right beside the skate track, right inside the same fenced in area.
Some solution like this seems fair and right to everyone involved. I'm sure I'm missing something.

I should mention that I do agree, the set up and maintenance of the track would fall upon the users, not on the city.

Last edited:
Keeping homeless out of the area probably isn’t the best lead-in to ask for support. NIMBYs will call anything they don’t like a nuisance, that said, it crawler course doesn’t look great, but at the end of the day, it’s not harming anyone.

Houston too. Darned near impossible to find a suitable place to run that is not on a roadway.
I live here in Houston as well. I feel the same way. The only RC track is in St. Ives RV Park, and other places to run usually have a bunch of trash piled up.

Keeping homeless out of the area probably isn’t the best lead-in to ask for support.
Unless you live in a city that is over run with homelessness. Residence in these cities aren't as sympathetic to the resulting by-products of homelessness.

It's not like this group of guys doesn't have other options. There are other places they could have used. Heck the local Hobby Town has a decent mini crawler course inside. This wasn't the last place in the city available to them. They just made a poor choice and now want it to be someone elses fault.

The name and blame game is childish and unnecessary on both sides of this as they are adults. (Assuming the town counsel are indeed all adults) 😆