The Greatest RC Car of all time

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't find the HPI savage. That would've been my vote. lol nevermind I found it, I'm suprised the outcast won

The Xmaxx is just something else. If you have a place to run it I highly recommend one. I don't drive it the most, but when I do it is smiles for miles. The thing is a tank and honestly gives me an adrenaline rush. Things get pretty wild when the Xmaxx comes out. It is my favorite.

It It’s missing the newer trucks like the Big Rock 6S, and mini trucks like my merv. It also has no short course trucks, like the Slash 4X4 Ultimate
This chart is based off of reddit community polls and over a time of about a year so.I think he did the most popular cars on reddit that he seen. There is so / too many cars to could and put in there.

If the poll said the funnest RC car of all time maybe I could agree with that list after driving an X-Maxx (which I haven't). But the best overall? Nah. I'd have a lot of other RC's above any plastic chassis vehicle as my overall best ever. A lot of my love for RC comes from building them and admiring the mechanical designs used throughout the model. The fact that they drive around by remote control is just a bonus.

I don't think I could pic a best overall RC car unless it was for specific categories. Like best monster truck, best crawler, etc. To try and pick one out of all the categories and say it's the best, I don't think I could. Would be really hard to figure out.

I'm just going by how much I giggle when I play with them. The xmaxx wins that category for me hands down. I'm sure it's different for everyone. That's what makes the hobby so appealing.

Seriously speaking, all of the modern cars stand on the shoulders of giants and racing cars of any era were always a niche compred to the ones the general population was buying.

Any cars that were raced and also gained general recognition would have to be 1/10 2WD buggies from the ’80s: Tamiya Frog and Team Associated RC10 come to mind first. The Grasshopper was never race-worthy but makes up for it with its sales figures in the millions and it’s still being produced today. And it was a kit that used proper electronics and radio gear, unlike cheap toys that I would exclude by default.

Cars that weren’t raced but were (and are) hugely popular and recognizable would be the Tamiya Lunchbox and Monster Beetle.

I don’t own any Tamiya kits, but in my half-arrsed attempt at an objective evaluation I think the overall greatest RC car of all time will be from their catalog.

Seriously speaking, all of the modern cars stand on the shoulders of giants and racing cars of any era were always a niche compred to the ones the general population was buying.

Any cars that were raced and also gained general recognition would have to be 1/10 2WD buggies from the ’80s: Tamiya Frog and Team Associated RC10 come to mind first. The Grasshopper was never race-worthy but makes up for it with its sales figures in the millions and it’s still being produced today. And it was a kit that used proper electronics and radio gear, unlike cheap toys that I would exclude by default.

Cars that weren’t raced but were (and are) hugely popular and recognizable would be the Tamiya Lunchbox and Monster Beetle.

I don’t own any Tamiya kits, but in my half-arrsed attempt at an objective evaluation I think the overall greatest RC car of all time will be from their catalog.
I would agree if not for the fact that I have owned a couple Tamiya RC's, and I never considered them to be much more than toys or static models with RC electronics in them. Their chassis are designed to look realistic as opposed to being functional RC designs. They have a cult following because they are very collectible, and they do cover up their toy grade chassis' with some beautiful bodies. But that is about as far as Tamiya went towards making most of their product line true RC cars.

That is why if you watch most of the Tamiya fan boys on YouTube, after building a kit they might do a brief run vid. But they never get too rough with them. Then they go on a shelf to live out their days. Most don't handle well, or hold up to any hard bashing. I remember a hobby shop owner talking me out of a Tamiya kit when I went shopping for an RC years ago for these same reasons. He said if I just wanted to look at it, the Tamiya would be fine. But if I wanted to run it, I needed a purpose buIlt RC. I ended up leaving with an RC10 B2.

Last edited:
Sorry, but the whole "according to reddit" thing, and "new it"...
Funny GIF

Thanks for my daily laugh. 👍

Back