Slash built in motor fan is broke. Is it that bad ?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cocoune

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
Hey guys.
A rock got stock in my motor and the built in cooling fan is shredded and its not connected anymore to the shaft.

I just change pinion and i think i stuck the rock myself by moving the motor.

Is it that bad ? the sound is terrible because the fan slip when i change speed.

Can you post a pic of it?
Oops yup. Its hard to see. Its not attached anymore. I just did 45 min bashing and the heat looks fine. I was not expecting that to break tho xd i jave a slash bl2s 2wd
1000002732.jpg

Oops yup. Its hard to see. Its not attached anymore. I just did 45 min bashing and the heat looks fine. I was not expecting that to break tho xd i jave a slash bl2s 2wdView attachment 193309
Oh, that's gonna tear some stuff up in there. Not to mention the heat is gonna cause the magnets to lose their polarization and come unglued from the can eventually.

Last edited:
Oh, that's gonna tear some stuff up in there. Not to mrntion the heat is gonna cause the magnets to lose their polarization and come unglued from the can eventually.
Honestly, i dont see how its gonna break stuff. The motor works fine. The fan still turn even if its loose. It slips when i change speeds. Its not that bad. I was scared at first but i thinks its ok. Heat looks good too. And if its bad. Ill drive it until it dies lol i want to go 3s anyway. But it would have been nice to have a good 2s motor in backup.

Ill go to my lhs tomorrow to talk about it. Idk maybe i can find something in the traxxas warranty. Ill email them. I'm ok to just replace it or put crazy glue but the motor seems really hard to open.

Honestly, i dont see how its gonna break stuff. The motor works fine. The fan still turn even if its loose. It slips when i change speeds. Its not that bad. I was scared at first but i thinks its ok. Heat looks good too. And if its bad. Ill drive it until it dies lol i want to go 3s anyway. But it would have been nice to have a good 2s motor in backup.

Ill go to my lhs tomorrow to talk about it. Idk maybe i can find something in the traxxas warranty. Ill email them. I'm ok to just replace it or put crazy glue but the motor seems really hard to open.
You might be able to call Traxxas up about a warranty claim.

not a good tdea to run that sealed motor without being able to pull it A part and remove all the little piece that have made there way into the motor can.. those could cause a short and burn up esc..as said above call traxxas see if the can help you

Every time I cheap out thinking it'll get the job done I regret it later. I recommend replacing it with a VXL or Castle 1410. Both will run off of your current ESC.

Every time I cheap out thinking it'll get the job done I regret it later. I recommend replacing it with a VXL or Castle 1410. Both will run off of your current ESC.
If i stay on 2s tho. I'm considering castle, hobbywing or spektrum 3s rated and new esc. I think ill go spektrum for the price and it should be better than the vxl.

If i stay on 2s tho. I'm considering castle, hobbywing or spektrum 3s rated and new esc. I think ill go spektrum for the price and it should be better than the vxl.
I wouldn't go Spektrum. Their ESC's have very limited functionality. You can't even set your own LVC on them, or at least the ones I have, or have looked at the specs of.

How many turn would you get ? I have 2.8 badlands. Damn its a good discpunt but I'm not ready to buy it xd 50$ shipping if i buy from their site tho
wouldn't go Spektrum. Their ESC's have very limited functionality. You can't even set your own LVC on them, or at least the ones I have, or have looked at the specs of.
But do you have to tune LVC ? If its set at 3.4v i sould be fine no ?
My lhs would love to have hobbywing tho xd and they think maybe hobbywing is doing some of spektrum stuff.

I run my LVC to 3.6v. Just to be on the safe side. But yes, 3.4v should be fine. But aside from that, you'll get a lot more features out of Hobbywing or Castle. If price is a problem, sure, the Spektrum stuff is OK. But if you can grab one of the other brands of similar specs it will be a step up.

I run my LVC to 3.6v. Just to be on the safe side. But yes, 3.4v should be fine. But aside from that, you'll get a lot more features out of Hobbywing or Castle. If price is a problem, sure, the Spektrum stuff is OK. But if you can grab one of the other brands of similar specs it will be a step up.
At least i know that lol If my lhs could seel hobbywing i would buy it. There is so much option, its scaring me a bit. Thats why i try to take my time. I saw a few threads where ppl talk about their new motors and everyone told them they failed haha ill see :p

I'm considering castle,
For 2s I would recommend a Castle 1410 motor, they're rockets. Stay away from Castle 1406 motors, they're gutless and overheat. 1406 motors are good for 1/16th scale trucks but not much more.

Back