Build Thread Scratch build electric tethered car racer

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 192713

So I tickled the throttle and despite the lesser gear reduction 1:1.33 and larger diameter wheels we get wheel spin!

I had to clean the marks off the cream carpet quickly before the boss noticed and before I took the picture.

Oops.

This is a bit of a concern, may have to build up speed really gently at the next track test.
Dial the punch setting way down in your ESC.

Dial the punch setting way down in your ESC.

Thanks for the suggestion @WickedFog it’s the first time I have plugged the control panel in since my original set up back in December last year. I had to check the manual.

I have now set it to Level 1 ‘softest setting’ from the previous ‘middling’ level 3, mind you it still spins up smart-ish when off load.

Note to self, when making next model make sure the control panel port on the ESC is in an accessible position!

Last edited:
Note to self, when making next model make sure the control panel port on the ESC is in an accessible position!
Lol, yeah, been there before.

There also is a setting in some radios called EXP (Exponent). It changes your throttle curve and allows you to lower the response of the trigger when you are at minimal trigger pull. Standard is just a linear throttle curve. Maybe adding a more dynamic curve will make it easier to manage your spinning.

"Softening" the start mode (aka Punch) will definitely help reduce tire spin.

+1 with what Kevin says. Setting in a negative expo will delay power delivery until later in the trigger pull. As an option to expo, check your radio to see if it has a 'Throttle Speed' option. This too will move the place trigger pull brings in a bang-on throttle. Personally, for me in RC drag racing, adjusting expo brings the power on in a more linear, manageable, manner. Throttle speed tends to bang-in when it comes on inducing either excessive wheel spin or fishtailing.

Good luck, mate. -AC

"Softening" the start mode (aka Punch) will definitely help reduce tire spin.

+1 with what Kevin says. Setting in a negative expo will delay power delivery until later in the trigger pull. As an option to expo, check your radio to see if it has a 'Throttle Speed' option. This too will move the place trigger pull brings in a bang-on throttle. Personally, for me in RC drag racing, adjusting expo brings the power on in a more linear, manageable, manner. Throttle speed tends to bang-in when it comes on inducing either excessive wheel spin or fishtailing.

Good luck, mate. -AC
Good idea, I have tinkered with the exponential function previously I’m not sure if I applied negative values though?

I’ll revisit this.