Pro .15 upgrade...advice needed

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made some progress installing the bellcrank / slide carb link on my original .15 chassis last night. It's a pain as you have to figure the best location and drill suitable holes. I ended up mounting it a bit close to the diff case so I've shaved a bit of plastic off here and there to help it rotate freely.

The throttle link that comes with the set is too short for the .18 cv-r(x) so you'll probably need to manufacture something else. I'll try and remember to take some pics of mine for your reference.

Ideally mounting the throttle servo where the fuel tank is would be the best option so you can get rid of the bellcrank completely. However, then you need to find a place for the fuel tank.

I made some progress installing the bellcrank / slide carb link on my original .15 chassis last night. It's a pain as you have to figure the best location and drill suitable holes. I ended up mounting it a bit close to the diff case so I've shaved a bit of plastic off here and there to help it rotate freely.

The throttle link that comes with the set is too short for the .18 cv-r(x) so you'll probably need to manufacture something else. I'll try and remember to take some pics of mine for your reference.

Ideally mounting the throttle servo where the fuel tank is would be the best option so you can get rid of the bellcrank completely. However, then you need to find a place for the fuel tank.
Thanks for the heads up. If you would post pics, that would be awesome!

Thanks for the heads up. If you would post pics, that would be awesome!

Just installed the FLM shock towers. I need to find new homes for the RX pack and switch as they were zip tied to the front (stock) tower and now they don't fit as well.

Note the ball end on the carb has been rotated (down), and also the fuel nipple has been rotated to face the rear. I think I've installed the bellcrank and links 180deg from typical, but it seems to work ok.

Click links for full size on flickr, and some others as well.

5432916051_40d6106647.jpg

5432917251_cc555c9046.jpg

5433531060_c511b71885.jpg

Looks like that is coming along well. Have to look again at that carb it looks a bit awkward but as long as there is no binding it should be fine. But then again.... it has been so long since mine was stock set-up I almost forget how it is even supposed to look....lol. Oh yeah you will like that OS for sure...much better engine to tune.

Looks like the post is mounted about an inch forward of the stock location. It does look like it is going to put a substantial amount of side pressure on the slide. The small linkage should be parallel to the slide. I'd fix that before running it. O.S. carbs aren't cheap.

The bellcrank is backwords. Look at your 2nd picture, the top of that bellcrank needs to be rotated roughly 180 degrees, then adjust the carb and linkage accordingly, it'll work much better.

I thought you were gonna get a rear exhaust engine, but that one should work fine.

The bellcrank is backwords. Look at your 2nd picture, the top of that bellcrank needs to be rotated roughly 180 degrees, then adjust the carb and linkage accordingly, it'll work much better.

Given the geometry of the .18cv-r(x) slide carb ball end, and the Traxxas bellcrank arm, I don't think it will work rotated 180 degrees, although with some carb rotation it might improve.

I thought you were gonna get a rear exhaust engine, but that one should work fine.

The OP perhaps. I'm not the OP, just an interloper doing the same conversion.

Looks good. I'm glad 2revo saw it for what it was.:) Sorry for giving ya the wrong advise.

Back