Hobbywing Motor Tunalyzer vs SkyRC Motor Analyzer - Which one is more accurate?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, David. Watched this vid and the one specific to the HW you posted earlier. For my purposes, am inclined to go for the SkyRC. Even with the reservations to it posted on the second vid. One, the Sky fits my budget and Two, Sky specifically specs it for sensorless. HW no mention beyond sensored.

Not sure how useful a motor analyzer is to me at this point in the hobby. But for $100 (SkyRC) I'll give it a try. HW's $300 is more what the serious racer would tend toward me thinks.

Anyway, thanks again, David, for digging out the two vids and making them available to the masses. ;) -AC

Yea, the video is from my buddy, he races Mini Z and was the owner of the old local track.

With me, with racing 4wd stock racing, I built up my driving skills and I'm pretty good. I currently like my current setup on my car (almost kit setup) But with racing, I am usually in the B main. If I did make the A main, other people will zoom right pass me. Now I get it why my uncle never liked stock racing, is because you have to spend money to get speed and win. Now I get why he likes to run in the mod class. But in todays racing, stock classes are everywhere. My local tracks, never seen mod classes being ran besides mod short course and mini truggy. Next times I am at the track, I plan to experiment with gearing. As the gearing I am running right now is 21/78 which was setup for the old carpet track. Now at the local indoor dirt track, and outdoor dirt track, they are alot more open so I should be able to gear up to at least a 25 pinion I would hope.

Just spent 70 bucks the other week for the new HW LCD card Pro so I can tune my esc. That's a step up in setting up and getting faster. But what I have to experiment more is motor endbell timing as in stock racing, can't have electronic timing via the esc. Actually looking to get the skyrc tester and maybe to make my own wires for it. Not sure. Just depends on how money is. I could increase the endbell timing without a tester but I would rather have the tester on hand to be safe. I don't want to mess up the motor. I am running the last gen (sort of) Hobbywing spec motor. V10 G4 13.5. Pretty sure they have the G4R which is ROAR approved, not sure of all the differences, but the motor is still pretty new and competitive.

Last edited:
Now I get it why my uncle never liked stock racing, is because you have to spend money to get speed and win.
By the time you have the skills to win a race you will have practiced hundreds of thousands of laps and gone through so many tires and other consumable parts that the cost of some titanium turnbuckles and screws is irrelevant. If you’re running mod they wear out tires and drivetrain parts faster so it’s not a cheap class either.

There’s not a single racing class where you can buy your way to the podium. Winning always requires practice and practicing a lot requires money. This idea that stock classes are somehow ridiculously expensive is a myth.

I think the test voltage could cause this difference.

The KV rating of a motor is a nominal number. How many RPMs you actually get per one volt will vary depending on the motor load. Even an unloaded motor is not 100% free of load. It has to overcome friction, and air resists the movement of the rotor. At a higher RPM the resistance from these factors is higher so the KV figure will be lower.

I bet if you could get the HW to put out 8.4 Volts it would read a lower KV value. Or, turning the SkyRC down to 7.4 Volts would result in a higher KV reading.

Based on this test, I’m not even sure these analyzers are off compared to each other. It might very well be that they are both accurate and the difference we observe is caused by the difference in the input voltage.

(I made the same comment in the Youtube comments.)

The HW analyzer looks awesoem but since I already have the SKY RC one I'm just gonna rock it for now. Maybe if I ever find myself looking for a new one Id get the HW though. :)

Ordered up the SkyRC analyzer yesterday. Got an email shipping notice. Satisfied it will meet my needs.

Curious, Wolfie? Are you finding the motor noise feature useful? Do you track (e.g. spreadsheet) noise from test-to-test or check-to-check? -AC

Ordered up the SkyRC analyzer yesterday. Got an email shipping notice. Satisfied it will meet my needs.

Curious, Wolfie? Are you finding the motor noise feature useful? Do you track (e.g. spreadsheet) noise from test-to-test or check-to-check? -AC
Honestly, I don't really use it much. The only reason I bought it was because at the time I thought I was going to use it to test and compare motors because I was on the battery testing kick, but I've since decided I didn't want to get in to all of that.

Back