Going all in

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 191224

Get some scraps and just start playing around with it ( I know the connector ends are different than just wires). It’s his favorite thing to do in the “shop” 😂

I love it, teaching him at a young age, when the things he is learning today will stick him for a lifetime. Excellent efforts, man! Yeah, I have watched a ton of videos on it, both on soldering in general and on the EC3 specifically. A lot of great information out there, and thank you for sharing this! After many of the videos I have seen, I do not know that anything I did was wrong, per-se, I just don't think I have a practiced enough hand to do a clean job with it. Cleanliness is what these connectors demand. It might have to do with my not having a steady enough hand. These 57yo hands just aren't surgical steady, the way they once were. I am going to buy some wire, tomorrow at Hobbytown, once I know how long of a piece I will need to extend the cables on these two ESCs, then I will be able to start playing around with the rest, just as you mentioned.

Thanks, again, keep up the great work!

I have the 2300KV 540 Axe R2 motor in hand, and the Axe R3 ESC should be here on Saturday, according to UPS.

Since the subject was discussed in another thread, I just measured the Enduro shocks, one straight out of the package with no spring underneath the plunger, and one with a medium length soft spring rate Desert Lizard spring under the plunger. The difference in full length and extension is the following:

Enduro shock no internal spring - 99mm in length

Enduro shock with medium length soft DL spring - unextended length is 85.1mm, extended length is 95.85mm

This means your ride height has decreased by 13.9mm (much lower CG), and I have lost 3.15mm in extension. I'd call that a successful droop.

I forgot to add, I also measured, for anyone interested, the difference in the length of the stock Capra Spektrum motor and the Axe R2 2300KV 540 motor. The Axe is 2mm longer, and identical in diameter. I have yet to pull the stock motor off of the skid, but the rear link connector on the skid will, indeed, be very close, the gap in that link mount and the stock motor is extremely small, maybe smaller than 2mm. So, as has been mentioned in countless places, including West Desert Wheeler, you either have to shave some off of that link mount, or buy a new skid. I chose the latter, and have a Vader skid to install, when I install the new motor, and from my understanding you can fit just about any 540/550 motor on that skid with no issues.

Last edited:
So, the latest update on the Capra, for which I have been remiss in my duties. I have been spending time in court, sorting out my wife's estate (not a short and quick process), and been going back and forth with my wife's company over her 401K which the owner told me she did not have one year ago, after she passed. Come to find out that is because he is way behind on posting his company match portion, a discussion not for this platform.

So, I have decided to hold off on finishing the Capra, as I have decided to go ahead and buy all of the parts I plan on using, since it is completely torn down now. Why tear it down multiple times, I figure. I am going to go ahead and upgrade the servos, currently leaning towards the Protek 1KTBL for both front and rear, both front and rear ends, currently leaning towards Super Shafty, the transmission, which I am leaning towards the Vanquish three gear due to it's compatibility with the Hurtz Dig unit, but I need to have some discussions with the folks at Dlux before making a final decision on this, and the Hurtz Dig unit. I have not settled on which tires, in which size, yet, that is going to come with testing, but I will likely have a few sets in different sizes, for different conditions.

Some of this may change, in terms of which parts I actually decide on, akin to the Axe motor decision taking place when a new model was released. But, for now, this is the direction we are headed in. No matter what, I really hope to build this rig into a monster crawler, when all is said and done.

Life can be a challenge... macro goals, micro focus... but just keep moving.
Thanks, Brother, just focusing on one step at a time.