Connector swaps vs squid adapter

• Thread starter GMCK1500shoptruck
  • Start date

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GMCK1500shoptruck

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
I have several different battery connectors across my RC car collection. I have a bunch of USB chargers, and one decent charger (venom pro4). The charger has an xt60 plug, but none of my batteries do.

I know my son’s Associated CR12 uses Deans, and my Redcat ascent18 is JST (I think), and I have a couple SCX24’s and an FMS FCX24 (not sure what connectors the -24 trucks use).

Would I be better off trying to find a squid that has all the appropriate connectors or getting/making individual adapters? Are there safety/quality issues with the commonly available squids?

[edit- another option would be to swap all the batteries to the same connector type]

Your thoughts/comments are appreciated!!

So that's a squid, I learned something today.

i have not heard of these yet, man i love this forum thanks for that link @tntpoof
i have a similar issue but with batteries, all of my batteries charge on my charger, but all my cars use different connectors and I'm afraid of ruining my trucks by learning to solder on something as important to do correctly as a battery connection. i had to get a pack of connectors to be able to swap out its a horrible mess on a few lol needing 2 connectors for 1 truck lol

to learn to solder your going to need a halfway decent Iron some good solder and some spare wire and connectors.. id say over 60 watts chisel tip that is clean.(you can buy Retin).get a damp sponge not wet just damp to clean iron on...watch some good Utube vids on it.solder 70/30 or 65/35 resign core.. tin every part to be joined 1st. heating is done fast .not slow. its a touch n off joint thing

I have a couple of these, absolutely love them, they even have a Traxxas connector on them. I would never use my non-Traxxas charger to do a full charge with, but I have used it once to do a nihm charge to get the voltage high enough to do a standard lipo charge. Having my octopus was a lifesaver in that situation, as the Traxxas charger flat out refused, and has no nihm option.

to learn to solder your going to need a halfway decent Iron some good solder and some spare wire and connectors.. id say over 60 watts chisel tip that is clean.(you can buy Retin).get a damp sponge not wet just damp to clean iron on...watch some good Utube vids on it.solder 70/30 or 65/35 resign core.. tin every part to be joined 1st. heating is done fast .not slow. its a touch n off joint thing
Don't get me started... 😁

You already started now finish if you can.I highly Dough you can
I'm a tad outa control with my soldering irons solder ..
I have over 15 Irons from 20 watta to 200 watts .
10 different solders. from a 10 lbs spool of 72/28 water soluble flux so one can clean it up with a damp toothbrush
all picked up at estate sales when its Dollar a Bag day..so my cost was well under 10$ for all my gear

Back