An interesting take on the proposed DJI ban

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Informative presentation. Thanks for linking this thread to it.

Had to google "DJI" as I was not familiar with the term and finding out it was a Chinese firm not an acronym. A quick check of the Amain website shows they offer twenty (20) DJI drones in their inventory. And curiously enough, only DJI drones. No other makers drones are featured. My takeaway then is DJI must be a big mover in the market and supports the vid. At least in my mind with limited knowledge of the subject.

My concern has long been protection of the RC frequencies, surface (esp.) and air both. Ever since DHS (Dept. of Homeland Security) was formed in response to 911, have been expecting to wake up one day and find those frequencies no longer available to the RC hobbiest. Hopefully (which, by the way, is not a plan) there is a voice on capitol hill and in state legislatures looking out for the interest of the RC'er.

Be it surface or air. Thinking the vid is spot on in voicing concern for the pending legislation. More research on my part before firming up a final opinion. Be of interest to hear what the prop-tops on here with knowledge of the subject have to contribute. -AC

I gotta start way off topic to get to my point. I look at this the exact same way I do the bans that big companies have tried to put on the vaping industry. First off, there has been a ton of misinformation spread about vaping over the years, and it continues today. Guess who's behind it? Big tobacco and big pharma. These big companies have lobbied politicians to push legislature to ban vaping products for over 20 years simply because the money made from the sale of tobacco products is far too much for them to let go of. And the taxes the government makes off of tobacco has been in jeopardy because so many people quit smoking and started vaping.

Phillip Morris, Johnson & Johnson, and many other huge corporations have funneled billions through lobbying into the hands of crooked politicians, that are more than happy to push their agenda. Countless numbers of petitions have been signed and sent to legislators in all areas of government, and most have amounted to absolutely nothing. Politicians are all about money, so they vote for whatever makes them more of it.

I could go so deep into this subject and write you a book, because I was a very informed vaping advocate for about 8 years. But let me just say that before all this... I could make a bottle of ejuice for less than $1.00. The laws passed have made it ridiculously difficult to buy the nicotine and vape flavoring to make ejuice now. And you can't buy that same bottle for less than $20 from a vape shop now because the government has managed to stick their hands so deep up the vaping industrys' asses that it has basically won. And guess who is paying?

So this crap is no different. Whether they get this bill passed or not, they will keep introducing new bills that inch by inch will get them to their goal. The politicians will tiptoe around every setback and defeat by attacking from a different angle. Eventually they will win and the little guy buying the drones as a hobby will pay the price. And the large corporations pushing this bill along with the crooked politicians will profit from it.

I applaud people like the guy in the vid for doing his best to spread the word about the crooked stuff going on behind the scenes. But untill we march on Washington and take every politician and toss them into the Atlantic, it's never going to stop.

Anytime the government wants to ban something, I typically oppose it. This is no different. If we were that concerned about national security, there's far more serious threats than some dude in China seeing what my drone sees. Seems to me it's just about money.

Now, to an extent, I'd rather see American companies selling the majority of the drones flown here in the US, but we all know that's a false narrative. The so called 'American company' getting all their parts from and labor to assemble from China, is not the solution.

As someone who owns and currently operates a DJI drone, I think the company in general kinda stinks. Horrible customer service, descent product, but they don't stand behind it. I don't recommend DJI products to anyone but the options are pretty limited.

Anytime the government wants to ban something, I typically oppose it. This is no different. If we were that concerned about national security, there's far more serious threats than some dude in China seeing what my drone sees. Seems to me it's just about money.

Now, to an extent, I'd rather see American companies selling the majority of the drones flown here in the US, but we all know that's a false narrative. The so called 'American company' getting all their parts from and labor to assemble from China, is not the solution.

As someone who owns and currently operates a DJI drone, I think the company in general kinda stinks. Horrible customer service, descent product, but they don't stand behind it. I don't recommend DJI products to anyone but the options are pretty limited.
If this was about national security, maybe they should have done something about the balloon with the schoolbus sized payload that drifted all the way across the country 😉

I was thinking about something the other day. I wonder how much money we send to China for the fireworks we light off to celebrate our independence. Seems kinda disturbing if you really think about it. Pretty sure we can make decent fireworks here instead of paying them to do it. Why don't the politicians do something about that?

I almost brought up the baloon but I don't want to go off on a rant. Sometimes I get started and can't stop.
Same here. I try to stay away from politics on here, but that's basically what this thread is. And I agree. Anytime they are trying to ban something, it usually is about money more than anything. So I hate seeing the government stick its nose into just about anything.

I wish I could afford a DJI drone. But not really sure what I'd use it for unless I managed to be able to go to the local RC track. Would be fun to get some aerial race footage with one.

Personally, I think all Chinese products should be banned in the US. The government has banned any computer equipment made in China because they like to plant little gremlins in their stuff to spy on other people and countries. That being said the gov/big business connection is despicable and in a country with leaders that really cared about their country, it would be illegal and punished.

Same here. I try to stay away from politics on here, but that's basically what this thread is. And I agree. Anytime they are trying to ban something, it usually is about money more than anything. So I hate seeing the government stick its nose into just about anything.

I wish I could afford a DJI drone. But not really sure what I'd use it for unless I managed to be able to go to the local RC track. Would be fun to get some aerial race footage with one.
I want one but for photography reasons. But the govt. has made it not worth the hassle, which is their goal.

I want one but for photography reasons. But the govt. has made it not worth the hassle, which is their goal.
Me too. Not a flier but do want to sometime contract a drone vid of an event on my backyard grasstrack. Looking more and more like won't happen because of impending legislation evoking restrictions that will put hobby RC drones in the too-hard-to-do box.

Good morning to all-
Interesting discussion here.
To be honest, I really don't give a rat's ass what the "restrictions" are on drones. I have a few DJI drones because they are superior to anything else in the same price range. I enjoy flying my drones, and where I live and fly, I really don't have to pay much attention to how far, how high, where I fly- hell, it's the backwoods of coastal Alabama.
I know the government "restrictions" but in general, I ignore them. Anyway, DJI drones have built-in "NO FLY" stops- mostly around military, government and metropolitan areas- very few of which apply to me.
And as far as banning DJI drones, that will never happen. Too many US companies are making too much money from DJI drones.

A lot of mouth noise is being made, but as has been said, "When everything is said and done, a lot more will be said than is done."

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

Good morning to all-
Interesting discussion here.
To be honest, I really don't give a rat's ass what the "restrictions" are on drones. I have a few DJI drones because they are superior to anything else in the same price range. I enjoy flying my drones, and where I live and fly, I really don't have to pay much attention to how far, how high, where I fly- hell, it's the backwoods of coastal Alabama.
I know the government "restrictions" but in general, I ignore them. Anyway, DJI drones have built-in "NO FLY" stops- mostly around military, government and metropolitan areas- very few of which apply to me.
And as far as banning DJI drones, that will never happen. Too many US companies are making too much money from DJI drones.

A lot of mouth noise is being made, but as has been said, "When everything is said and done, a lot more will be said than is done."

Not that I'm suggesting you violate restrictions on altitudes and such, but if you ditch the DJI flight software and go to litchi or just about any other software, the restrictions are removed.

The range on my phantom is 3-5 miles and with antenna boosters you cam increase that a bit. I might know a guy that's flown high enough to see the top side of cloud cover.

Not that I'm suggesting you violate restrictions on altitudes and such, but if you ditch the DJI flight software and go to litchi or just about any other software, the restrictions are removed.

The range on my phantom is 3-5 miles and with antenna boosters you cam increase that a bit. I might know a guy that's flown high enough to see the top side of cloud cover.

Mr. Good wrench-
It's funny, but I might just know another feller who has seen clouds- from the up side from a drone...

And where in Missouri do you live? I lived for quite a while south of Rolla-back in the puckerbrush of Texas County.

I'm about an hour and a half north of Kansas City. A little po dunk town in the middle of nowhere called Agency. I've heard of Rolla but never been there.

I use parabolic reflectors and get a pretty decent range boost. Much more range though and you might be looking at a 1 way trip with the factory batteries.

It's too bad that DJI is increasing security in drones and some people want to ban them. I won't know what to get if this goes through.

Back