2wd monster slash 3-4 s esc and motor

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cocoune

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have a 2wd slash bl2s with 2.8 badlands and longer rpm a arms. I want to eventually buy a new motor and esc.

The normal thing to do would be upgrading to 3s but I'm thinking about 4s. I know some will discouraged me from going 4s and its fine. Monster slash is also a controversial build.

Thoses are the reasons why i might go 4s : Motors and esc are expensive and i dont want to go 3s and then want 4s. My gearing is 14/90 for now, stock was 21/83. I can go higher but i like the torque and acceleration and the motor dosent get hot so I'm in a safe zone and dont need to always worry about the temp. If it was the stock slash i would go 3s but i might want 4s for speed since I'm geared down alot. The other reason for the 4s is to be a bit overkill so i never need to go full throttle. Or maybe run it on 3s with 4s capable motor. My theory is that it would be easier on the motor and esc. Its fun to know that you can go faster but dont do it exepct a few times.

For information I'm bashing. I feel like there is race tracks everywhere in the usa but not so much in Québec. Anyway my slash is not stock at all right now.

When i say I'm bashing, I'm not doing what we see alot on youtube. I ride offroad on gravel, dirt etc. Maybe a 3-4 feet drops here and there and pump tracks but I'm careful.

Traxxas is a no for me. My lhs recommended a spektrum. I guess its the 85a firma i dont remember. I like my lhs so i always prefer to buy there but jennyrc is so cheap I'm considering it if i buy a spektrum. The other options would be castle or hobbywing.

What combo would you recommend for 3s and 4s ? Of course i try to think about money and want the best for my bucks, not the best overall but I'm open.

I prefer torque and acceleration over speed and dont understand kv quite well. How do i know a motor is 3s or 4s capable ? Is it better sensored or sensorless ? I dont understand the a rating either.

Maybe it will be a good idea if i directly contact those brands too ?

Thanks alot !

Last edited:
What combo would you recommend for 3s and 4s ? Of course i try to think about money and want the best for my bucks, not the best overall but I'm open.

I prefer torque and acceleration over speed and dont understand kv quite well. How do i know a motor is 3s or 4s capable ? Is it better sensored or sensorless ? I dont understand the a rating either.

Hobbywing 10BL120 G2 3660 (sensorless). Should be able to do 4s on the lowest kv motor available which should be 3150kv, not sure. But anything under 3000kv would be able to do 4s fine.

Hobbywing Max10 G2 (sensored) 140A with 3665 motor. 2400 / 2600kv will be good for 4s but if your mainly running 3s, anywhere in the 3000kv to 3500kv range should be good.

Sensored vs sensorless, sensored motors have an extra sensor wire and have sensors on the A B and C sides of the motor and is very smooth under low RPMs, while sensorless, as it doesn't have sensors, it cogs more at low RPMs.

With kv, lower kv is more torque, less speed (depending on gearing and voltage). Higher kv is more speed, and more high end torque (depending on gearing and voltage). Lower kv, more voltage you can run, higher kv, less voltage you can run. So for example, 2600kv should do 4s well, and 3s, while 3500kv id only do 3s on. Just depends on the size of the motor and ESC/motor temps. And gearing. With motor size, I use Hobbywing 3660 Max10 SCT combo in my slash. Mainly for street and track bashing. I run 4000kv, and on 2s only on stock gearing. Pretty torquey when it gets up to speed. Same with my rustler but I have the 3652 and due to the smaller motor, it's not as peppy as the 3660. (These were sensorless motors btw)

My lhs recommended a spektrum. I guess its the 85a firma i dont remember
85a won't really cut it for 4s. Id atleast get. 120A combo minimum so your system can stay cool.

Hobbywing and castle are the main ESC combo brands. I usually go towards Hobbywing since that's what I use in all my cars, and that's what all my family and friends use. Don't get me wrong, castle is super nice, but pretty pricey.

1000012392.jpg

PXL_20240414_162243282.jpg

Last edited:
Hobbywing 10BL120 G2 3660 (sensorless). Should be able to do 4s on the lowest kv motor available which should be 3150kv, not sure. But anything under 3000kv would be able to do 4s fine.

Hobbywing Max10 G2 (sensored) 140A with 3665 motor. 2400 / 2600kv will be good for 4s but if your mainly running 3s, anywhere in the 3000kv to 3500kv range should be good.

Sensored vs sensorless, sensored motors have an extra sensor wire and have sensors on the A B and C sides of the motor and is very smooth under low RPMs, while sensorless, as it doesn't have sensors, it cogs more at low RPMs.

With kv, lower kv is more torque, less speed (depending on gearing and voltage). Higher kv is more speed, and more high end torque (depending on gearing and voltage). Lower kv, more voltage you can run, higher kv, less voltage you can run. So for example, 2600kv should do 4s well, and 3s, while 3500kv id only do 3s on. Just depends on the size of the motor and ESC/motor temps. And gearing. With motor size, I use Hobbywing 3660 Max10 SCT combo in my slash. Mainly for street and track bashing. I run 4000kv, and on 2s only on stock gearing. Pretty torquey when it gets up to speed. Same with my rustler but I have the 3652 and due to the smaller motor, it's not as peppy as the 3660. (These were sensorless motors btw)

85a won't really cut it for 4s. Id atleast get. 120A combo minimum so your system can stay cool.

Hobbywing and castle are the main ESC combo brands. I usually go towards Hobbywing since that's what I use in all my cars, and that's what all my family and friends use. Don't get me wrong, castle is super nice, but pretty pricey.

View attachment 192876

View attachment 192878
Wow thanks. Thats alot of information :)

Does the traxxas pinion fits on your motors or you had to buy other ones ?

i just saw that the bl2s is sensorless and I'm pretty happy with the low speed control. I guess sensored is more for crawlers. It gives me more options since i dont mind goind sencored or sensorless.

What i understand is that if i want to go 3 or 4 s i need less kv or a bigger motor or both. Its nice because hobbywing indicates what batteries to use with theirs motors.

Since i already have the lowest gearing on my slash, i understand that lower kv would be better and i can just gear up if more speed need am i right ?

And ya i know that 85a firma was not enough for 4s i forgot to tell that.

I wont upgraded soon so i have time to think about it.

Ill try to go to my lhs when the son is there. I know he can talk to me for an hour about motors lol

And after seeing the prices to go 4s i might go 3s xd I'm thinking about it. Its my first car so i never felt the difference between 2s and 3s.

Ill try to emailed castle and hobbywing like i said. But ill probably buy a hobbywing because of price or spektrum if i find a deal on jennyrc or to support my lhs.

My upgrades are pretty simple right now and electronics are another world. And its expensive.

Thanks alot !

Does the traxxas pinion fits on your motors or you had to buy other ones ?
Oh the smaller motors like the 3652s which have a smaller motor shaft, the stock pinion should fit on. But if it's one of the bigger motors like 3660 that has a bigger shaft, you would need a 5mm bore pinion.

3.175 shaft diameter / bore pinion (smaller motors like 3650, 3652)
5mm shaft diameter/ bore pinion (bigger motors like 3660, 3665 ect) With the new Hobbywing combos, I'm pretty sure they are like that.

Oh the smaller motors like the 3652s which have a smaller motor shaft, the stock pinion should fit on. But if it's one of the bigger motors like 3660 that has a bigger shaft, you would need a 5mm bore pinion.

3.175 shaft diameter / bore pinion (smaller motors like 3650, 3652)
5mm shaft diameter/ bore pinion (bigger motors like 3660, 3665 ect) With the new Hobbywing combos, I'm pretty sure they are like that.
At least pinions doesn't cost much.

Hey guys,
I have a 2wd slash bl2s with 2.8 badlands and longer rpm a arms. I want to eventually buy a new motor and esc.

The normal thing to do would be upgrading to 3s but I'm thinking about 4s. I know some will discouraged me from going 4s and its fine. Monster slash is also a controversial build.

Thoses are the reasons why i might go 4s : Motors and esc are expensive and i dont want to go 3s and then want 4s. My gearing is 14/90 for now, stock was 21/83. I can go higher but i like the torque and acceleration and the motor dosent get hot so I'm in a safe zone and dont need to always worry about the temp. If it was the stock slash i would go 3s but i might want 4s for speed since I'm geared down alot. The other reason for the 4s is to be a bit overkill so i never need to go full throttle. Or maybe run it on 3s with 4s capable motor. My theory is that it would be easier on the motor and esc. Its fun to know that you can go faster but dont do it exepct a few times.

For information I'm bashing. I feel like there is race tracks everywhere in the usa but not so much in Québec. Anyway my slash is not stock at all right now.

When i say I'm bashing, I'm not doing what we see alot on youtube. I ride offroad on gravel, dirt etc. Maybe a 3-4 feet drops here and there and pump tracks but I'm careful.

Traxxas is a no for me. My lhs recommended a spektrum. I guess its the 85a firma i dont remember. I like my lhs so i always prefer to buy there but jennyrc is so cheap I'm considering it if i buy a spektrum. The other options would be castle or hobbywing.

Thanks alot !
If you're going to do a Monster Truck Slash build, I'd personally use a Castle Mamba Monster 2 ESC with a Castle 1415 2400kv motor. If its a non monster truck Slash build Id use a Sidewinder 8th ESC and a 1410 3800KV motor.

It's not really important to understand KV, just know the range of KV for a given scale and pick something in the low half of the middle of the range. For example, typical kvs you'll see for 1/10 scale is roughly 2400 - 7700Kv. So for most 1/10 rigs I'm going to pick something around 3800Kv or so. Everything else like torque, acceleration, and top speed are all tunable via gearing. If you don't go with Castle, I'd suggest Hobbywing.

Also, in terms of sensored and sensorless, the only thing you need to know about that is that sensored offers better low end control over acceleration. If you're bashing It's not really that important but is a nice feature to have imho. Sensored set-ups will run you some extra cash as they carry a little bit higher price tags than their non sensored counterparts.

Thanks guys.
So i decided i will not go 4s lol I dont need to. Its gonna be overkill and i feel imngonna break way to much stuff. My lhs sell the spektrum firma 85 for 150$ can. They would love to sell hobbywing but the would pay the same price as us so its not worth form them.

Ill emailed hobbywing. I would like to buy one but i need to make sure i buy the right stuff. I'm looking at the 10bl120 right now or something similar. I just need to find the right kv and or turns for my needs.

HOBBYWING Quicrun 10BL120 G2 & 3652SL G2 Combo (QR10BL120 G2 &3652SL 3250KV G2)​

1. HOBBYWING Quicrun 10BL120 G2 & 3652SL G2 Combo (QR10BL120 G2 &3652SL 3250KV G2)

Back