What RC to buy for grandkids?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basrx

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Best for grandkids 8-11yrs old. Don't want junk. Hopefully something 100-$175.. good speed,extra battery,tough... Prob wud get 3or 4 of them. No junk. Something like pic
Screenshot_20240619-195938.png

Ya really gotta stay away from Amazon RC's unless you're buying a name brand. And then, don't buy those on Amazon. Shop www.amain.com. Better, more knowledgable customer service.

The Amazon stuff - when it breaks, and it will, you are left waiting on parts to ship from China. And that's if you can even find parts for them.

Are you experienced with LiPo batteries?

Welcome to RCT!

This is a great little RC
https://www.helidirect.com/collecti...cx24-max-smasher-v2-monster-truck-rtr-4wd-red

Here's ours after a few mods.
20230416_080245.jpg
20230416_080034.jpg

I have 2 absima 1/16s and their quality actually seems great to me. I have done quite enough to them to say that lol. Parts support in europe is decent as well, prices are OK and every part can be changed

It really depends on what they are into. I have 3 kids and they don't care for fast rc cars. I picked up a couple TRX4m's and an FMS max smasher and they can play for hours. My daughters pull around baby dolls in the trailer and sometimes I make mini courses for them to navigate.
1000000769.jpg

For a tiny bit more I would recommend a Traxxas XL-5 2wd Stampede. All my kids started off with Stampedes. Pretty much all RC stores sell parts for them.

+1. Any 2wd Traxxas will be amazing first RCs.

A traxxas 100% save alot of hassle in the long run sure initial cost will be more but so will the fun
1/10 scale 2wd off-road RCs are almost always a sure thing. :thumbs-up: ;)

Who's going to be around when the RCs are being ran, and worked on basrx? That's my question when looking for "the best".

1/10 scale 2wd off-road RCs are almost always a sure thing. :thumbs-up: ;)

Who's going to be around when the RCs are being ran, and worked on basrx? That's my question when looking for "the best".
Their dads will be the ones working on them. That's why I'd like to get something that is dependable. Sounds like I Shud looking toward Traxxas. I've heard that name in the past

My son has had the same traxxas slash for 6 years. It's been pretty reliable. When a part breaks it's pretty easy to get a replacement and fix it.

I had my slash for 8 1/2 years. The only parts that is OEM is the receiver box and battery strap 😅
For my rustler, had that for 3 1/2 years and the only factory parts left on it are front shocks, receiver box, esc mount, rear arms, and transmission case. Well not technically cause it was my stock slash transmission but there the same so I don't count that. (And stock body)
PXL_20240621_215338777.jpg

Always wanted to get rid of them and either get something 4wd, or something higher end, but I just can't seem to get rid of them. Always love driving them and working on them.

Their dads will be the ones working on them. That's why I'd like to get something that is dependable. Sounds like I Shud looking toward Traxxas. I've heard that name in the past
I didn't know how responsible all parties involved were going to be when it comes to safety, repair, maintenance, and usage. Mainly battery safety would be my concern.

Back