T-Maxx pulls to the left when WOT

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

easy rider

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
I was running my OS 21 T-Maxx yesterday. I put the Revo tires back on it. I have everything adjusted right for straight tracking. And, it does track straight. Unless I hammer it.

When I give it wot and it hits second gear it blows out of the hole. The problem is it starts going left as it accelerates. It’s not bad. But, it needs to be corrected to stay with on narrow areas.

I didn’t notice it in gravel or dirt. But, on pavement, it’s an issue. I’ve checked the setup. Everything is in line like it should be. Nothing is loose on the steering or chassis. I can’t find an issue causing it. The only thing I can attribute it to is it breaking traction. Occasionally, it’ll pull right too.

I’m out of ideas that could be causing it. While minor, I do want to fix it if something is wrong. How about it? You guys got any idea on what’s up? Or, is it just breaking traction with that one wheel when it hammers into second gear?

I'm assuming it's the torque of the motor pulling or your diffs are unloading from any combination of torque, traction, or low resistance due to old or low viscosity oil.

A center diff, not spool, may help too if avaliable.

How is the shock springs and oil?

It may be as simple as weight is transferring to the left rear. Try adding a tad bit of preload to your left rear spring. A little heavier diff fluid in the rear as well may help it. Same thing happens on 1:1 drag setups. Car leans to the left and unloads the right rear, allowing the tire to balloon a bit, increasing tire diameter, and sends car left.

Are your tires worn evenly? Are they directional? If not, try rotating your tires and see what happens.

Perhaps the weight distribution? Just a guess, but I had the same issue with a car that was very unequally weight distributed to the left.

I'm assuming it's the torque of the motor pulling or your diffs are unloading from any combination of torque, traction, or low resistance due to old or low viscosity oil.

A center diff, not spool, may help too if avaliable.

How is the shock springs and oil?
I never thought about the shocks and springs. Diff oil was changed a couple months ago.

Thanks for the reply, I happen to have 8 shocks

Sorry guys. Missed some of the responses earlier. I’ll address the suggestions.

The trucks tires are brand new. First time I run them.

I’ll definitely try to preload the left rear springs when I get into it.

The more I think about this the more I’m thinking it’s a weight or torque issue. On asphalt, as the truck switches to second, it squats hard and shoots out. It starts drifting left, I slightly correct it. When I say slightly, I mean the slightest.

Once I get it corrected in that part of the run, if I’ve not over corrected it, it runs true. If I over correct it I might have to bump it back in line.

But, I’m certain after all your suggestions, that it’s pointing at maybe the left side is heavy with that fuel tank. Creating a torque issue. So, until it presents worse, that’s where I’m looking and I don’t think it’s worth fooling with it just yet.

I didn’t have this issue last run. But, I run a taller tire too. Loosing low end torque. Until I get more time to confirm it, I think a spring shim and some heavier oil is the answer.

FWIW, this OS engine just keeps getting stronger. Man will this thing will run. I’m going to run some Thursday and Friday. I’ll look into it some more. Thanks for the suggestions fellas.

Last edited:
Also I might add to these other great suggesting's!

If the rear is the pillow ball hubs ,make sure the ball joints move freely ,as
it effects the shock & A-arm movement!

I also think it could be overpowering the front or rear dif and only pulling one side. In the front it wouldnt take much because of any play in the steering.

I also think it could be overpowering the front or rear dif and only pulling one side. In the front it wouldnt take much because of any play in the steering.
What do you suggest for a diff weight to offset that. Because that may very well be the issue. When I put your words into my visuals, it sure could be.

What do you suggest for a diff weight to offset that. Because that may very well be the issue. When I put your words into my visuals, it sure could be.
I would go to a thicker fluid or heavier grease in the diffs. I like the very thick 70-80 weight in the front and rear. It really locks them together for max traction. Now for racing on a tight turn track it will effect the turn in and not be as quick to bite. It is a very fine balance in racing but for bashing and just rippin it up I like the thicker heavier stuff.

In my tmaxx's I just use a heavy type auto wheel bearing grease and pack it full.

Last edited:
Back