SS Build Pics Part 1

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossb

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
The pictures are shown as HTML links below the descriptions. The pictures were downsized for Web viewing. I still have the full resolution shots.

One of the two Savage rear ends:
** Build Picture 1 **

Disassembled rear, diff case is out, diff locking fluid shown. Going to use that for better diff performance:
** Build Picture 2 **

Inside stock diff case has two spider gears and the stock grease:
** Build Picture 3 **

Cleaned out stock grease, installed 4 spider gears with 4 cross pins for additional strength. I filled diff with lock-up fluid for better 4WD performance & traction. The diff is a standard "open-end" rear; locking fluid makes it perform like a limited slip unit. Front diff got 1000W and the rear diff got 3000W:
** Build Picture 4 **

Starting to assemble rears to bulkheads:
** Build Picture 5 **
** Build Picture 6 **

The turnbuckles and their bearings:
** Build Picture 7 **

Building upper suspension arms, fully adjustable
** Build Picture 8 **

Upper arms done, building lower arms:
** Build Picture 9 **

Suspension arms done:
** Build Picture 10 **

Arms attached to front & rear bulkheads with SS heavy-duty silver dog bones:
** Build Picture 11 **

Two speed transmission with stock single fiber disc brake. Optional reverse module shown on right:
** Build Picture 12 **

Transmission open to install reverse module:
** Build Picture 13 **

Reverse installed in transmission:
** Build Picture 14 **

Optional dual stainless steel disc brakes installed on transmission output:
** Build Picture 15 **

Transmission installed on transmission/motor mount plate:
** Build Picture 16 **

Chassis installed around mount plate:
** Build Picture 17 **

Empty radio box:
** Build Picture 18 **

Two Futaba S3003 standard servos, one Futaba S3005 HT Metal gear servo, and a 6V NiMH receiver battery pack (with charge port) installed:
** Build Picture 19 **

Futaba FM receiver and Ofna failsafe installed. The radio I am going to use is a Futaba 3PM:
** Build Picture 20 **

Linkages for steering and reverse gearbox on bottom of radio tray:
** Build Picture 21 **

Radio box installed on front bulkhead:
** Build Picture 22 **

Front & rear bulkheads installed on chassis. Heavy-duty dog bones connect transmission to front and rear. Connected transmission linkage. Tested the reverse module while spinning the transmission input by hand. Reverse module shifts perfectly and works with no detectable drive train drag while in forward. There is a slight drag when in reverse:
** Build Picture 23 **

Building shocks:
** Build Picture 24 **

That’s all for now. I already finished the body. Pictures of the body can be found here

Last edited:
I Love the begining to the end slide show, its fiddlesticking great. Can wait to see it when its all done. Good Luck

good job. i like the blue on the body. the savage looks very clean. hehe. keep up the good work!
savager

suppaduppa said:
I Love the begining to the end slide show, its fiddlesticking great. Can wait to see it when its all done. Good Luck

How did you get that fiddlesticking great slideshow. I could only bring the pics up one at a time.

thats the same thing i was wondering but maybe he was just talkin about how he had one picture for every step he took to build it?? i dunno
savager

turnbuckles with there bearings, LOL!!

Cool... I bought mine as a roller, so I've never seen it in pieces... other than the front end when I did the MP servo saver mod.

Could you take a shot of the underside where the reverse module is? I'd like to see how that hooks up?

If not, no biggie. Just curious.

olds97_lss said:
Could you take a shot of the underside where the reverse module is? I'd like to see how that hooks up?

No problem, I will do that over the weekend.

i think building it like that from ground up is the best way to learn about the truck,now if you ever got problems its no problem figuring out how to take it apart...nice job, nice pics. your gonna love it!!savages kick ass

Nice.
Looks like your doing a clean job.
Building is my favorite part. I could build all day long and never get tired of it.

Fast eddy i could agree. When i got my t-maxx(my first nitro plus I'm young) i coverd it alum(my dads idea) i have a goood 72 hours of work in it and 30 mins of drive time.

xxBanditxx said:
Fast eddy i could agree. When i got my t-maxx(my first nitro plus I'm young) i coverd it alum(my dads idea) i have a goood 72 hours of work in it and 30 mins of drive time.

I don't know, but somehow that seems a little sad to me. :(

Some more progress. I decided to upgrade the steering. I went with an Ofna Monster Pirate Servo Saver/Steering post set and an Integy Alloy Steering Center Link Plate:
** Build Picture 25 **

Picture of the reverse module linkage:
** Build Picture 26 **

Last edited:
Back