Problem fitting 2.8 proline badlands on slash bl2s

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cocoune

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
Hey guys

I just bought badlands for my slash. I have 2 problems tho. The rear wheels are a bit on the threaded part of the shaft holding it. And the hole of the wheels are a bit too big so its wably. I can try to tight the bolt when the wheels are completly in place but its hard and not optimal. There is the same problem in front but the wheels are straight.

I'm wondering if other ppl have this issue.

Those wheels aren't made for the Slash are they?

Another question, do you have smaller pinion gears to put in? Because if not, you're likely headed for a cooked motor or ESC.

Also, your slipper clutch is going to struggle to work with bigger tires. And if it starts slipping it's going to get really hot and melt everything around your input shaft. Bearing journals will melt, shafts will wobble, then destroy your transmission gears.

Those wheels aren't made for the Slash are they?

Another question, do you have smaller pinion gears to put in? Because if not, you're likely headed for a cooked motor or ESC.

Also, your slipper clutch is going to struggle to work with bigger tires. And if it starts slipping it's going to get really hot and melt everything around your input shaft. Bearing journals will melt, shafts will wobble, then destroy your transmission gears.
They are not made for the slash but its a really popular set of tires used for the monster slash. This build is really popular so I'm surprised that i didnt read about this and that my lhs owner never told be. Maybe its because its not a big deal. Its not a real car. Its still a small rc car. Its fixable tho but with a bit of work.

I geard down alot. Stock was 21/83 and i run 14/90. I can't go lower. The motor was hotter when i had the short course tires with the 21/90 gearing. I feel i can go higher but i know I'm not in the safe zone anymore.

But i need to read more about the slipper clutch tho. Now its set about 1.5 turn.

They are not made for the slash but its a really popular set of tires used for the monster slash. This build is really popular so I'm surprised that i didnt read about this and that my lhs owner never told be. Maybe its because its not a big deal. Its not a real car. Its still a small rc car. Its fixable tho but with a bit of work.

I geard down alot. Stock was 21/83 and i run 14/90. I can't go lower. The motor was hotter when i had the short course tires with the 21/90 gearing. I feel i can go higher but i know I'm not in the safe zone anymore.

But i need to read more about the slipper clutch tho. Now its set about 1.5 turn.
Changing tire diameters changes where the torque stress is at in your drivetrain. The weakest link will always reveal itself if pushed too far. And your slipper will be the weakest link if too loose. I would tighten it about a half turn just to be safe. Run it for a minute and check temps of the motor, ESC, and slipper to make sure they aren't getting to hot.

On the wheels being loose on the axles, no idea what to tell ya there. If you could find some collars that had the ID of the axles and OD of the wheel's axle hole diameter you could shim it. Otherwise you are going to likely have problems as that will create more friction and wear around your hexes as the wheels oscillate during hard driving. Tightening the nut more to hold the wheel against the hex will alleviate that some, but I don't see that being very durable.

@DavidB1126 can tell you what bigger tires did to his Slash.

Changing tire diameters changes where the torque stress is at in your drivetrain. The weakest link will always reveal itself if pushed too far. And your slipper will be the weakest link if too loose. I would tighten it about a half turn just to be safe. Run it for a minute and check temps of the motor, ESC, and slipper to make sure they aren't getting to hot.

On the wheels being loose on the axles, no idea what to tell ya there. If you could find some collars that had the ID of the axles and OD of the wheel's axle hole diameter you could shim it. Otherwise you are going to likely have problems as that will create more friction and wear around your hexes as the wheels oscillate during hard driving. Tightening the nut more to hold the wheel against the hex will alleviate that some, but I don't see that being very durable.

I dont quite understand how the slipper clutch work. I need to read more on it. But i felt it was too lose. I think its a great idea to tighent a bit like you said. Stock slash was stupidproof so i need to be more careful. At least i dont ride like alot of youtubers lol I follow an experienced rc car owner (from belgium i think) his name is many rc garage. When he ride he puts the whole video so i can see how he does it. I try to be carefull with the trottle, i gives some breaks and it almost never roll. I barley do speed runs. I once drove 1h15 before the cut off but usally a pack is like 45min-1h. I'm ready to break things. I dont want it but i understand that it can happen with the bigger tires. I'm 2wd drive tho. Looks less prone to breaking in general.

And for the fitting problem i guess the most simple thing to do is to make sure the wheels are at the right place when i tight the bolt and try collars like you said. Its not that big of a deal i just tought it will fit easy.

Oh and i need to watch for rocks getting in the wheels xd It unbalanced the wheels or it can block the drive shaft.

Those badlands are so much fun tho. The car have so much grip and it floats over everything ! I have wider arms too and really like they the suspension works. The wider arms is the best upgrade i did so far.

That was his Rusty.

I didnt read on it but whats the difference with the stempede ? Its not the same transmission ?
It is the same. But it comes with a 16t pinion vs the Slash 22t pinion I think. I think the spur gears are different too.

Just keep an eye on the temps I mentioned and you will be ok.

Hey guys

I just bought badlands for my slash. I have 2 problems tho. The rear wheels are a bit on the threaded part of the shaft holding it. And the hole of the wheels are a bit too big so its wably. I can try to tight the bolt when the wheels are completly in place but its hard and not optimal. There is the same problem in front but the wheels are straight.

I'm wondering if other ppl have this issue.

Can you post a picture of the issue it is you are having with the wheels?

FWIW I run a Stampede VXL on Proline 2.8 Mashers on 17/83 gearing without issues. I'm assuming this is the BL2S model? I am pretty sure you could gear it up.

-edit-

Are you referring to how the wheel wobbles before you put the wheel nut on?
When it is sitting like this?

1718764642020.jpeg

If so that is normal and won't affect anything once you tighten down the wheel onto the hex.

-edit2- I see it clearly states BL2S in the thread title. 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
FWIW I run a Stampede VXL on Proline 2.8 Mashers on 17/83 gearing without issues. I'm assuming this is the BL2S model? I am pretty sure you could gear it up.
Thanks. Its a good guide line. Maybe later because its 100f where i live this week xd I like the fact that i feel safe right now with the gearing. At some point i think ill want a bit more top speed but i like the torque and acceleration. At the same time, i go full throttle often because of the lack of top speed.

And for the wheels it looks the same as you. I think the front is more stable because of the thicker hex. If i just tight the rear without holding it its too wably. But if I'm carefull is not that bad. The shaft is just under 5mm thick and the wheels are 6mm. I feel its not a big deal.

Other funny thing is that the 2 sets are a bit different lol 2 tires are more squishy than the others.
1000002677.jpg
1000002678.jpg

You need a beefier platform to make this happen, do people do it? Sure they do, but I personally would not expect a slash to take this abuse for long. Leave it as an sct and monster sct something else that is built a wee bit stronger. Remember my words when you are constantly wrenching on it.

You need a beefier platform to make this happen, do people do it? Sure they do, but I personally would not expect a slash to take this abuse for long. Leave it as an sct and monster sct something else that is built a wee bit stronger. Remember my words when you are constantly wrenching on it.
Thanks. But i knew all that and I'm so happy to have bigger tires. Espacially the badlands. I'm 14/90 right now on 2s. If i start breaking stuff too much (i want to go 3s eventually) ill definetly switch to ballands sct and keep the 2.8 if i choose to buy another truck. My plan from the beginning was to make a monster slash. Honestly, even with the stock slash, ppl seems to break alot of stuff and i dont really get it. The things i broke was in the first month and thats because i had really bad landings on pump tracks. It almost never roll now and when it does its super gentle. I think ppl go too hard in general. Ppl post things on the internet when the broke something. They dont make a thread to say that everything is fine.

But your not the only one that ill remember words xd like i said, if i see that everything start to fail, ill take another direction. But thanks ! If i didnt put bigger tires, i would always told myself "what if i had bigger tires".

Back