Popsicle sticks.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tunedfrog

Kermit the frog is a sissy.
Supporter
Military Veteran
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor RC Showcase: 2
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
Just a warning, this is non-RC but wanted to show the my process if anybody is interested.
I all starts with 48 sticks, wood glue and a Harbor Freight drill press vise.
I can only go with 48 sticks because anymore than that then they won't fit through my planer.
I will use one set glued in half with each piece for one wheel and tire. Roughly 1/24 scale size.

IMG_1512.JPG

I posted one build in another thread but here it is.
@WickedFog mentioned a crawler so that's what I am going to build.
It takes a long time to build one so I'll post as I go.

100_0583 (1).JPG

Thanks man, I appreciate it. All of my interests are fading and I'm sure it's because of my health so I decided to dig out my sticks and give it a try.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. All of my interests are fading and I'm sure it's because of my health so I decided to dig out my sticks and give it a try.
When you get into this project maybe it'll get your mind off things. I'll sure be here rooting you on.

I'm getting back into woodworking and this looks really cool. Built a couple of pine slab tables myself.

I'm just curious as to who eats that many Popsicles?
Untitled359_20240623151620.png

By the way @Lucifur10 - how's your thumb?

I'm getting back into woodworking and this looks really cool. Built a couple of pine slab tables myself.

I'm just curious as to who eats that many Popsicles?
I buy the sticks in a box of 1000.
The semi tractor won a woodworking contest and I won $500 worth of Ryobi tools. :thumbs-up::thumbs-up::thumbs-up:

Last edited:
Normally I use dark wood glue because it helps the sticks show up a little bit more but I'm out right now. Elmers wood glue is all I have.

There is no way I could do that your builds are fantastic. Actually I bet I could do it but it would take a lot of time to learn
My first build was a motorcycle and it was a tough one because the only tool I had was a belt sander.

That is way more patience and talent than I can muster. So freaking 😎 cool.

View attachment 192917

By the way @Lucifur10 - how's your thumb?
The thumb is almost healed. Still tender. I will admit to a fair amount of being "gun shy" with that tablesaw though.

There's a guy on the "Maker's Channel " named Paul Jackman...aka Jackman Works. Lives on Cape Cod. Does the same process with pallet wood. Insane amounts of talent and patience. I wish I could focus on something like that. Maybe when I retire...or go to prison.

Last edited:
When I started I was a Pin Spotter mechanic in a bowling alley and when the machines were running I couldn't do anything so I started building miniature guitars. I started other stuff to build and realized everybody uses wood for wood working, well duhhh, why not build my wood too.
So then the popsicle stick idea took hold and off I went.

The thumb is almost healed. Still tender. I will admit to a fair amount of being "gun shy" with that tablesaw though.
I was the same way with wood jointers. Anytime I got near one I'd have flashbacks of seeing my finger in the blades. But I still used them. I just used pusher sticks after the accident. I always used pushers on table saws. I nearly got my hand in one when I was like 12 years old. But accidents teach you some mad respect of machinery 😉

I have both a surface planer and a thickness planer. When they say don't put hand in where the blades are mounted, they meant it. :eek: