MST RMX 2.5 Pinion

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedyBooty

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
I recently bought this mst rmx 2.5 and the guy I bought it from had done a front motor conversion swap and it looks pretty good, the one issue there was is that the pinion doesn’t line up with the gear, I went to my local hobby shop and they said that I had to adjust the motor mount, so I got home, loosened the screw and tried to move it but it wasn’t close enough, the one I have is a 15t 48p pinion, do I need a bigger one?
Thanks

I recently bought this mst rmx 2.5 and the guy I bought it from had done a front motor conversion swap and it looks pretty good, the one issue there was is that the pinion doesn’t line up with the gear, I went to my local hobby shop and they said that I had to adjust the motor mount, so I got home, loosened the screw and tried to move it but it wasn’t close enough, the one I have is a 15t 48p pinion, do I need a bigger one?
Thanks
Pics?

image.jpg

image.jpg

So you have plenty of motor shaft there to slide the pinion out. I don't see the problem, other than your pinion does need to be pulled out a smidge to be more inline with the spur.

Or do you mean your mesh can't go any tighter? If it is your mesh is too loose, then yeah, grab a bigger pinion. You can put a bigger spur on it too to get your motor mount back towards the center of its adjustment range.

What is the tooth count of your spur and pinion?

So you have plenty of motor shaft there to slide the pinion out. I don't see the problem, other than your pinion does need to be pulled out a smidge to be more inline with the spur.

Or do you mean your mesh can't go any tighter? If it is your mesh is too loose, then yeah, grab a bigger pinion. You can put a bigger spur on it too to get your motor mount back towards the center of its adjustment range.

What is the tooth count of your spur and pinion?
The pinion has 15 teeth and I’m not sure how many the spur has, my problem is that the motor doesn’t want to shift more to the right to mesh properly, the dude at the hobby shop said all I need is to adjust the motor mount, the previous owner said I need a new pinion, I’m conflicted atm

Well if the motor mount doesn't slide any more, you need bigger gearing to put you back to the center of adjustment. Likely due to the fact that you have the smallest spur gear I have ever seen. Step up a few teeth on your spur and a tooth on your pinion to get your adjustability back where it should be.

Just googled it and it seems my car is called the mst fxx not rmx, I’m not sure what the great setup is called, if anyone else would like to help out.

Well if the motor mount doesn't slide any more, you need bigger gearing to put you back to the center of adjustment. Likely due to the fact that you have the smallest spur gear I have ever seen. Step up a few teeth on your spur and a tooth on your pinion to get your adjustability back where it should be.
Do you know what size pinion I should get?

Last edited:
Back