Looking for a new motor/esc (slash 2wd)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benjiRC

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Looking for a new esc motor combo for my slash vxl. The velineon system has been great for the last 4-5 years but I'm finally tired of using a sensorless system. I've pushed my slash past 60mph before but I've never really seen the slash as a speed demon so i think i want to drop the kv down to 3200 and give it the punch it deserves. The copperhead 10 3200 looks crazy nice but its slighly expensive. Does anyone have any other good options around $150 and thoughts on 3200kv for 2wd slash?

Don't have a Slash, but here's the HW 3250 combo I run in one of my Rustlers. It is 2s-4s capable. Good low-end grunt power. It is a sensorless combo so may not meet your needs.

HW 3250 2s-4s
Yea I should’ve mentioned I do only want sensored but thanks thats a nice sensorless option.

Hobbywing Max10 G2 is a good sensored combo. Lower kv will give you the torque and punch, but less top speed. While higher kv will give you more speed. Lower kv with the low end torque vs high kv with the high end torque. But kv also depends on what voltage you are running and gearing.

Depending on how upgraded your slash is, from my experiences and what I seen, you really can't go 60 plus unless you have some aero on it and vent holes in the body.

Around 150 bucks. The max10 G2 80A combos are 130 and the 140A combos are 170. The 80A comes with a smaller 3652 motor while the 140A comes with a 3665 motor. I'd choose the 140A combo. But it's gonna be a heavy system for a 2wd SCT.

I have a older Max10 SCT in mine and it's a bit heavy. Sometimes I feel like I overpowered it. But I like to over power things lol. I only run on 2s. Currently on 23/86 gearing and I can get up to about 45mph.
IMG_20240425_180720_232.jpg

Yea I should’ve mentioned I do only want sensored but thanks thats a nice sensorless option.

Sensored is only desirable for club racing which offers smoother throttle response in slow speed chicanes. Modern sensorless systems are so smooth that the average person can't tell the difference under normal operation. The benefits of sensorless are more power due to having more magnet mass inside the can and no maintenance woes of damaging the sensor boards or sensor wiring. The benefit of sensored motors just isn't there for bashers :(

@benjiRC may I ask why you are wanting censored for your rig?
Censored is so much better suited for crawlers but just curious is all.

@benjiRC may I ask why you are wanting censored for your rig?
Censored is so much better suited for crawlers but just curious is all.
I want a smooth takeoff and more speed control. The velinion system just feels cheap and coggy now a days

Hobbywing Max10 G2 is a good sensored combo. Lower kv will give you the torque and punch, but less top speed. While higher kv will give you more speed. Lower kv with the low end torque vs high kv with the high end torque. But kv also depends on what voltage you are running and gearing.

Depending on how upgraded your slash is, from my experiences and what I seen, you really can't go 60 plus unless you have some aero on it and vent holes in the body.

Around 150 bucks. The max10 G2 80A combos are 130 and the 140A combos are 170. The 80A comes with a smaller 3652 motor while the 140A comes with a 3665 motor. I'd choose the 140A combo. But it's gonna be a heavy system for a 2wd SCT.

I have a older Max10 SCT in mine and it's a bit heavy. Sometimes I feel like I overpowered it. But I like to over power things lol. I only run on 2s. Currently on 23/86 gearing and I can get up to about 45mph. View attachment 191119
I'm running 3s and I wouldnt mind 4s someday. Maybe the 80 would work better for me

Not trying to insult your intelligence but when you plug the motor into the esc, be sure it is A to A, B to B and C to C or you will burn it up.
EDIT: if censored, thanks @DavidB1126 I forgot that part.;)

Not trying to insult your intelligence but when you plug the motor into the esc, be sure it is A to A, B to B and C to C or you will burn it up.
Thanks got it. I know alot of people who would take a brushed motor over any sensorless and I dont bash barely at all so i think i would enjoy the precision.

Might be wrong, but if I remember correctly, the 80 is 2-3s and the 140 is 2-4s

Yes, if its sensored :thumbs-up:
In that case maybe i do want the 140, I'm not fully sure how different 80-140 feels however

Castle Mamba X/1410 combo. I have this combo in my 2wd Rustler, it's a rocket. And it's censored.

Back