I got a used typhon

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

majin

RCTalk Addict
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor RC Showcase: 1
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
I scored 2 new additions to the fleet today
Guy brought them to me on a job site said he hasn't ran them for awhile said he'd sell em both and 3 (doodie) batteries for 200 bucks.

I got a pretty bashed basher lol an Aarma typhon brushed (fml) 550 buggy.
He has a larger motor installed but my brain farts when it comes to numbers.
Tires are bald and chasis has a chip missing.
That's the worst visible damage
I have a proof of working video but haven't tried it myself yet as I don't have a battery with the right connector until I solder this new connector onto one.

The other is a redcat gen7 stock with a broken c hub it did have the replacement hub tho so once I get some time I'll have another crawler to destroy!!!!! Muahahahahaaaaaa

20240622_170557.jpg

20240622_170602.jpg

20240622_170607.jpg

20240622_170751.jpg

20240622_170758.jpg

I scored 2 new additions to the fleet today
Guy brought them to me on a job site said he hasn't ran them for awhile said he'd sell em both and 3 (doodie) batteries for 200 bucks.

I got a pretty bashed basher lol an Aarma typhon brushed (fml) 550 buggy.
He has a larger motor installed but my brain farts when it comes to numbers.
Tires are bald and chasis has a chip missing.
That's the worst visible damage
I have a proof of working video but haven't tried it myself yet as I don't have a battery with the right connector until I solder this new connector onto one.

The other is a redcat gen7 stock with a broken c hub it did have the replacement hub tho so once I get some time I'll have another crawler to destroy!!!!! Muahahahahaaaaaa

View attachment 192764

View attachment 192765

View attachment 192766

View attachment 192767

View attachment 192768
That's a good deal! I think @Tunedfrog can tell you what you need to convert that Typhon over to brushless. I think he did that before, but can't remember for sure.

Zoom imageall the infoi i can find on the motor sadly, i am hoping for a reply from the seller, but not holding my breath on it.

Motor brushless BL 8 1650kv​

Only 4 left in stock
Dragon-Rc brushless motor with alu finned case version with 1650kv. Suitable for 1/8 cars. Laser-engraved with DragonRC logo.

Nice score, yes I have a Typhon Mega I modded to run 4s but she explodes on 4s so I keep it 2s.
Hobbywing brushless system, aluminum motor mount, high speed center drive shaft mount.
Off the top of my head, I can't remember what I upgraded.
Fun buggy but it just isn't my thing.
Everybody says buy a 3s and go from there instead of the Mega but I wanted the Mega just to see how hard I can push her.

so i got a bum car. classic me, now i get to figure out yet abnnother issue i didnt get to cause. good times.. actually it kind of is good times not gonna lie. i think i enjoy breaking and repairing more than anything these days. so on my way to read about what could be causing me to lose throttle consistant;y.
i thought at first it was a reciever issue, but the same issue persists thru 3 serperate recievers. eliminates that from myy list,
motor is not getting hot, esc fan is working and has been calibrated, held the button down while turning it on then it beeped and i did nuetral forward reverse with the beeps in between.
i dont THINK its the motor, it rips for a few seconds and then just poops out. like it stops getting signal? could it be the esc? i mean its gotta be 1 of the 3 right? i mean servo has nothing to do with it so thats also eliminated as a possibility.
battery is only a 2s, and esc is rated for
Recommended battery specification: 5000mAh - 35C minimum - Per battery pack

3S, 4S and 6S LiPo Compatibility
i tried multiple different batteries and same resluts as well so its not battery, not servo lol, not reciever. thats leaving motor or esc issue right?

Last edited:
There is likely no way to adjust the low voltage cut-off in that ESC, but that looks like that's what is happening. It could possibly be voltage sag of your battery. So try a different battery.

Get a low voltage alarm on it also. You can see what's going on that way. Set your low voltage alarm to 3.4v. Run it and see if the alarm goes off right before it shuts down.

One question
Is the LED on the ESC flashing when it stops running? If so, look at how it's flashing. How many flashes before repeating? Then download the manual for it and see if it has error codes explaining the flashing.

Last edited:
i think my battery is too weak. i put one of my 3s batteries in it and it ran longer, but drained so gd fast!!! went from 99 to 21 in under 1 minute.,... i really think this thing is just too strong for the batteries i currently own. going to order a better battery tonight, any advice or suggestions on a quality battery to get? i was going to get a hoovo, its the same brand as my 3 s and its been pretty reliable, but thats coming from a lack of klnowledge. I've seen @Greywolf74 post a lot of stuff and that dudes hella knowledgeable, probly forgot more than ill learn, i digress he was saying how the hoovo i have is doodoo, i like to listen to people whom i respect and man that dude knows his poop so I'm really REALLY inclinded to not get this brand... i also use a few of the spammer peoples batteries, and I'm not super impressed with them. are there any good batteries under 120 apiece that i should look at?
There is likely no way to adjust the low voltage cut-off in that ESC, but that looks like that's what is happening. It could possibly be voltage sag of your battery. So try a different battery.

Get a low voltage alarm on it also. You can see what's going on that way. Set your low voltage alarm to 3.4v. Run it and see if the alarm goes off right before it shuts down.

One question
Is the LED on the ESC flashing when it stops running? If so, look at how it's flashing. How many flashes before repeating? Then download the manual for it and see if it has error codes explaining the flashing.

its got a

BLX185 6S ESC​

and the motor is listed as brushless, so i need a 6s battery correct?

the esc blinks red most of the time, i can't find the meaning I've so far only been able to locate how to switch it from nimh to lipo? and punch settings I've gotten to that butr get confused about the beeps.

We run these in our big rock 3s (think it’s similar to the typhoon if it was stock) and they do well, but we just as new as you 🤣. Few months in and so far so good with em, haven’t timed the run time, but it’s easily 20-30 minutes

I don’t know bout the esc or motor in it, but you could series these to for 6s if needed

https://a.co/d/067bmEAX

Edit: we also run the 4s chnl racing batteries in our mt8 and they are great there as well. The link is no longer good from when I got em

Last edited:
i think my battery is too weak. i put one of my 3s batteries in it and it ran longer, but drained so gd fast!!! went from 99 to 21 in under 1 minute.,... i really think this thing is just too strong for the batteries i currently own. going to order a better battery tonight, any advice or suggestions on a quality battery to get? i was going to get a hoovo, its the same brand as my 3 s and its been pretty reliable, but thats coming from a lack of klnowledge. I've seen @Greywolf74 post a lot of stuff and that dudes hella knowledgeable, probly forgot more than ill learn, i digress he was saying how the hoovo i have is doodoo, i like to listen to people whom i respect and man that dude knows his poop so I'm really REALLY inclinded to not get this brand... i also use a few of the spammer peoples batteries, and I'm not super impressed with them. are there any good batteries under 120 apiece that i should look at?

its got a

BLX185 6S ESC​

the esc blinks red most of the time, i can't find the meaning I've so far only been able to locate how to switch it from nimh to lipo? and punch settings I've gotten to that butr get confused about the beeps.
Hopefully it's just a battery problem. You can check CNHL's website for a better deal because they always have sales. Greywolf can tell you which CNHL batteries to get, and maybe he can offer other things to check that might be causing your problem.

That being a used car, the very first thing I would have done is removed every screw and cleaned every part in a bucket of Simple Green. Then I would reassemble it with new grease where needed, and noted any parts or bearings that might need replaced. You issue could be binding somewhere in the drivetrain, but I would suspect that would heat the electronics up rather quickly.

It could very well be an ESC going bad too. But I would eliminate this other stuff first.

Order you a couple of these little guys for testing purposes in the future...
SUPULSE LiPo Battery Checker RC 1-8S Battery Tester Monitor Low Voltage Buzzer Alarm with LED Indicator for Lipo Life LiMn Li-ion Battery (2 Pack) https://a.co/d/06ya43Pv

its got a

BLX185 6S ESC​

Sorry I didnt see this earlier man, I dont get on the site too often anymore.

So the issue you are having in the video you posted is because your ESC doesn't support 2S lipos, and those Ovonics look like they are 2S.

As for the issue with the 3S LiPo, the only thing I can think of its that its an old battery or possibly has high IRs which is causing it to have limited mAh. Do you have another 3S LiPo you can try?

As for what batteries to buy, Id look at Liperior, Liperior Pro, CNHL G+ series, CNHL Racing (The green white and orange packs, not the orange and black or the red and white packs.), Regular Turnigy, and Zippy compact are some of the better budget brands. SMC is also good but are more expensive than the others I listed.

P.S. Thank you for your kind words. I appreciate it. :)

https://chinahobbyline.com/products...svq7_C_qlK8Qv2lesE_aem_0gRic9apdblXA0j7Gs3dlw

thibkning I'm going to order this as my first for the car, my next will be a better one but this should get me on the road for the time being

Just my thoughts, I would personally get 2 3s batteries and run em in series to get 6s, instead of wasting money on a cheaper 6s, you could also use the 3s in other vehicles (I think, can’t remember what all you got now 🤣)

Edit: the link I posted early will get you 2 3s for less and little higher c rating and same mah 🤷‍♂️
And they are hard case

Another edit: don’t mind me 🤣 I forgot this wasn’t the 6s version typhoon

Last edited:
see this is why i love you guys... " hey our dumb friend is about to mess things up again. we gotta teach him" i freaking love you guys. i will be swapping to 4s. i was wondering about this myself but was looking into more about it before i buy the battery, thanks for narrowing it down for me.
i hear it CAN do this so i think i MUST do this.

Just my thoughts, I would personally get 2 3s batteries and run em in series to get 6s, instead of wasting money on a cheaper 6s, you could also use the 3s in other vehicles (I think, can’t remember what all you got now 🤣)

Edit: the link I posted early will get you 2 3s for less and little higher c rating and same mah 🤷‍♂️
And they are hard case

Another edit: don’t mind me 🤣 I forgot this wasn’t the 6s version typhoon
would it be better to run 2 like that? i see the jumpers to run 2 batteries, if i was going to run a 4s battery could i jump 2 2s? i have multiple 2 and 3 s lying around in an ammo case id love to use!
i dont like the idea of only having 1 battery thats specifically for one vehicle. i like swapping em out and having multiple charged ready to swap in and out so i like this idea betterthan the 1 large battery,

see this is why i love you guys... " hey our dumb friend is about to mess things up again. we gotta teach him" i freaking love you guys. i will be swapping to 4s. i was wondering about this myself but was looking into more about it before i buy the battery, thanks for narrowing it down for me.
i hear it CAN do this so i think i MUST do this.

would it be better to run 2 like that? i see the jumpers to run 2 batteries, if i was going to run a 4s battery could i jump 2 2s? i have multiple 2 and 3 s lying around in an ammo case id love to use!
i dont like the idea of only having 1 battery thats specifically for one vehicle. i like swapping em out and having multiple charged ready to swap in and out so i like this idea betterthan the 1 large battery,
I don’t know that it’s “better” but it is one way to do it. If you have 2 of the same 2s batteries and some connectors to make a jumper then you can do it without ordering anything and run it 🤷‍♂️ just make sure you put them in series not parallel. And I don’t think I would mix different rated batteries so they will discharge fairly equally.

I'd run the 4S, if you run two batteries it's not good to spit them up and use in different vehicles unless you are always running them in pairs. If you wear one down more than the other it can create problems when you run them together again.

I'd run the 4S, if you run two batteries it's not good to spit them up and use in different vehicles unless you are always running them in pairs. If you wear one down more than the other it can create problems when you run them together again.
oic ic so like id run one down lower and throw things off, i follow, can i join 2 2s to make a 4s? is that how it works? I'm watching videos on it currently

Back