Any AMA members on the forum?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mtbmatty

RCTalk Talkaholic
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Flying
Anyone here belong to the AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics)?

We mostly fly at schools, sub 250g ultra micro planes. No real plans on joining a local club as of now.

Not sure how beneficial it would be

This is my take on it.

The only real advantage to joining the AMA is being able to fly at sanctioned fields or events. If you read the fine print, all the insurance coverage and benefits they offer are only applicable if you fly at said fields or events. For the average guy flying at a school or such there is no real benefit to joining.

Kind of like buying dental insurance if you have no teeth. 🤪

Maybe other folks with different opinions but this has been my experience.

Anyone here belong to the AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics)?

We mostly fly at schools, sub 250g ultra micro planes. No real plans on joining a local club as of now.

Not sure how beneficial it would be

This is my take on it.

The only real advantage to joining the AMA is being able to fly at sanctioned fields or events. If you read the fine print, all the insurance coverage and benefits they offer are only applicable if you fly at said fields or events. For the average guy flying at a school or such there is no real benefit to joining.

Kind of like buying dental insurance if you have no teeth. 🤪

Maybe other folks with different opinions but this has been my experience.
What the hell is fine print?!?!

Interesting, and by access to clubs and events, you’re still paying to join or participate. As far as the insurance, that was the only real appeal, but hardly. We try to be respectful/ responsible and keep away from people and structures.

I didn’t think it was for me, but thought I would throw it out there….

We are the same, we fly for fun not for glory. We stay away from areas where we might create a distraction or do any damage if a malfunction should happen.

For a while thee AMA kind of used pressure tactics to make it sound like if you didn't join you were just being irresponsible. For me that was a turn off.

The people I choose to fly with sounds like your group. We are very aware of our surroundings and always keep an eye out for possible issues.

I want to fly nitros up to the .40 size, and that means I need a club field, and that means I need AMA membership, so I carry it.

I've met a lot of great pilots at the club, gotten good tips, and can fly my 5' 7lb Avistar without a FlightID module. I haven't even found a suitable, usable public space for that big a plane any closer to me than the club, so I'm just glad I can make it there and back in the same day.

From what I’ve seen it is a requirement to join clubs, and makes sense if you need a large space for a large bird. Assuming the club is a fria makes for is a nice benefit as well.

So you use any of the other “benefits”??

I want to fly nitros up to the .40 size, and that means I need a club field, and that means I need AMA membership, so I carry it.

I've met a lot of great pilots at the club, gotten good tips, and can fly my 5' 7lb Avistar without a FlightID module. I haven't even found a suitable, usable public space for that big a plane any closer to me than the club, so I'm just glad I can make it there and back in the same day.

I am! It helps them lobby to keep the government from getting out over their skis' and take away our rights.

Back